The São Francisco and Santo Antonio mills, part of the Balbo Group, are the first ones in the sector to become Rainforest Alliance Certified by Imaflora (institute for agricultural and forest management and certification) and by the Sustainable Agriculture Network (SAN). The Rainforest Alliance seal guarantees good environmental practices and social justice by enabling workers and stimulating policies in accordance with the interests of the community and the environment. Now Native uses this seal in its audited products – organic alcohol and organic sugar.
Among the requirements of the regulating agencies necessary to the socio-environmental certification are: compliance with some of the agreements of the Labor International Organization Convention and to the Brazilian environmental and labor legislations, as well as the respect to health and safety, decent working conditions and good relationships with the surrounding communities.
The requirements are:
01. Social and environmental managing system;
02. Ecosystems preservation;
03. Wild life protection;
04. Water resources preservation;
05. Fair treatment and good working conditions;
06. Health care and occupational safety;
07. Relationship with the communities;
08. Integrated stewardship of the crops;
09. Soil management and preservation;
10. Integrated management of the residues.
At São Francisco and Santo Antonio mills, these benefits are spread to over 11 thousand people, among family members and workers, including the ones at the industry, fields, temporaries, employed during harvesting time and in-between harvesting time.